 |
| Goooooooood morning Chang Mai! getting ready for some hiking and waterfalls. |
 |
| My favorite street in Chang Mai |
 |
| Our b-fast spot |
 |
| veggie and chicken omelet over rice |
 |
| fresh fruit, yogurt, and muesli |
 |
| and cooooofffffeeeeee |
 |
| found the bus station right in time for the bus to Chomp Thom |
 |
| bus tickets |
 |
| leg room |
Before the bus actually started moving, we stopped at a what i presume was a bus stop, and sat there, for a good 30 min. I was hunkered down for a long trip. Shai had a moment were he didn't think he could stand waiting, and was trying to figure out if he wanted to get off and go do his own thing. I suggested asking someone if they knew how long the trip was to Chomp Thom. Seemed like a good plan, so I asked a Thai woman sitting next to us how long the trip was. She let us know that it was going to be only 2 hours, rather than the 4 Shai was fearing it was going to be. So we put on head phones and soaked up the foreign landscape we passed.
 |
| Crocheted stick shift holder. I'm amazed that some hipster somewhere hasn't co-opped this, written a book, and made millions on the idea. |
 |
| Entertaining ourselves on the ride |
As our stop got closer we pulled out our map to make sure we would catch the stop we needed. The woman we asked about travel time told us she was getting off at Chomp Thom and she'd let us know. Then she asked if we were hoping to go the park where the waterfalls were and how we were getting there. When we told her our plan, which was find a bus to the entrance of the park, she offered us a free ride. We gladly excepted.
When the bus stopped at Chomp Thom we followed her off the bus and down a residential street. We exchanged names, found out we all are on facebook, and as our language barriered conversation moved on she asked us if we wanted to eat and wanted to eat with her. YES! I think we both might have answered really quickly and simultaneously, that she laughed a little and pointed forward. Joy was her name and she taught us about Thailands fivestar chicken and spicy papaya salad (that almost always is sold right next to the five star chicken stand at any street food market). Joy then introduced us to more drinks in a bag, both so sweet I could hardly finish mine, but I loved it. After we bought the food Joy took us to her home, all of her neighbors inquiring about the two tourists she picked up (I presume that's what they all asking as we walked by). When we got to her house we meet her dog, her fathers parents (I think) and her mom, Usa.
Joy and her mom were SO sweet and hospitable. They started pulling all of this food out and set it up. The table, a large mat we all sat on and ate on, family style. It was an amazing experience and put so much into perspective. As Americans we use SO much, take up so much space, expect so much, and don't even know how to survive with the bare essentials. We need houses with multiple rooms, most of which have a very specific rules of use: the front room, the dining room, the living room, the family room, the play room, the guestroom(s), ect..... so much space for our little nuclear world. (I say we, but really I'm talking the greater we, Americans in general) We need what we want, when we want it, so we get it, because we can.
And it made me wonder would we, would I, invite strangers and very obviously foreigners into my home, feed them amazing food, take them where they are trying to go, and make sure that they're going to be okay? I would hope and think I would, but I don't know if I would have. Think about it, would you? Have you ever considered it? Or does it seem that we've put on blinders, because we're all in a little need of help from a strangers we just don't know how to ask or give it.
Then there is also the flip side of this coin. It is very possible that we were invited into this home and fed and taken care of because we are Americans. And in the greater scheme of things, we hold that privilege without having to do anything for it. I think that makes it hard for Americans to see their own privilege because we're granted it automatically and not challenged. Alas, I digress...
Needless to say, at that point, for both Shai and I, our trip was made. Even If we hadn't made it to the park and swam in some waterfalls, being able to see that, made to think about that privilege, and to meet Joy and her family, share a meal with them, our day was already perfect. If you read this Joy, thank you so very much.
 |
| The best meal we've had in Thailand yet. |
 |
| Me, Joy and Usa |
 |
| Entrance of the park |
 |
| pretty |
 |
| Before my fully clothed and shoed fall into the water. |
 |
| Looooooook, nature... |
 |
| After my fall into the water. (I was attempting to cross by jumping from rock to rock. Shai suggested taking a run and jump. Either way, this girl can't jump, but I try.) |
 |
| slippery rocks |
 |
| Thai boys playing in the waterfalls |
 |
| They were jumping from these rocks. It was so much fun to watched. They encouraged us to come over and try.....but I chicken out. I already did my jump. |
 |
| Isn't it preeeeetty? |
 |
| Drive by shines on our way back to Chang Mai |
 |
| Some school children that we flirted with in one of the passing towns. Look at those beautiful smiles. |
 |
| More drive by shrines. |
 |
| After our bus ride home we decided to walk home to save money. |
 |
| This is how it felt towards the end. |
 |
| Pad zee ew dinner |
 |
| With shrimp and veggies and a spicy mango salad. The day was absolutely amazing, We were exhausted and I am so glad we travel similarly. Sending love. xoxo |
|
Oh wow! It looks like you're not only encountering so much natural beauty but are really getting to know the people there and how they live. I'm supes jeallo.
ReplyDeleteI can't wait to talk about all of your observations regarding being a child of the empire in Thailand. We have many things, you and I.
Love and miss you soooo very much.
xoxo,
woods