and all the amazing food that comes with adventures.

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Cha-am

The travel to Cha-am was epically long, but saw a lot of Thailand passing by it.  The train from Bangkok to Cha-am took 5 hours.  If we would have had a car, or the money to travel not by train it would have taken 45 minutes. Yeah.  Looooooooong train trip.









Each of the little stops (which is why it took 5 hours) had people that would come on and walk through with food and drinks.  This was Shai's Pat Thai on a train.



Bored




Some station along the way.


More train food. We weren't quite sure what it was.
The verdict is still out for Shai, and I still think the grasshoppers were better.
Finally we get to Cha-am!!
First thing is first:  beach.

Ahhhhh, finally.


Yessssss! Banana Rotee (the banana pancake thing from Chang Mai). Hands down my pants favorite, Obviously.

Dinner:  Ummm, stuff over rice.
Day 2: we each do our own thing.  Shai rents a bike for himself, and he loooooves it.
Hello Kitty

My morning.

My lunch.


My afternoon.

The sand is super light and fluffy here.  I would describe it as all crushed shells.  This is my detail photo.

Tarot on the beach

Then, a family with twin girls buy two kites and fly them next to me.  I swear I think it's a sign that I was exactly where I'm supposed to be.

Shai as a unicorn

The most delicious dinner.  Pork wonton soup. Wish I could have one more bowl of it it was so delish.



Not only is the cup pink, it was the drink was also super pink. Candy in a cup.

This is my Banana Rotee boyfriend.  Any all questions I had went to him.  I saw him on the daily.  MmmmmMMMmmmm banana rotee...


Family on a scooter.

Shai's late night snack of squid.


And he's done.


Our last morning in Cha-am

The re-pack process begins. Our train leaves at Cha-am at midnight.




For the day, we stored our bags at the office of the place we stayed, and poolsided it with a bunch of older Germans for the first half of the day.

The Germans

I'm not sure what the name of this was, but this day was the Chinese New Year, and it's a traditional snack that you offer people for good-luck.  It was super sticky, I think probably super processed rice and sugar, with a bean-y like center.  It was yums.

Blog

Lunch: five star chicken on the beach

with something fried.

This picture is trying to show how bumpin it was on the beach.  All the locals were out for the holiday, having a beach day.



So there's a story in here.  As we sat on the beach taking in the joyous celebration of the Chinese New Year a group of adolescent girls came and sat by us.  Slowly we started talking.  Exchanging names, ages and home history, to the extent of the language barrier.   After about an hour of this a white couple from, I presume, the U.S. comes over and set up camp.  The girl buried her boyfriend and then proceeded to give him his anatomical parts shape. 



At first the girls were interested in burying Shai into the sand, but when the penis happened on the other couple, it got all kinds of attention from the local boys and men.  A group of boys in their yound 20's kept on going over and getting their picture taken with the buried guy and his girlfriend.  This is as far as Shai got buried, because when the girls saw what was happening, they left.



Later, the girls came back, and they were totally upset by it.  Their arms were set across there chests, and had huge frowns on their face.  They stood by us, but sat there exchanging glares and what I think were disapproving comments, even though I have no idea what they were saying, I know they weren't happy about it.  Shai and I wondered if the girls knew the Thai boys, or if they were their brothers and cousins, that were so into getting pictures with the couple.  Or if it was the foreign white couple that they disapproved of.  It was obvious that they disapproved of the behavior somehow, either from the boys that thought it was so funny, or of the young couple that made the scene possible. And I was a little offended for them. Most of you know me, right?  I'm super sex and body positive, but I thought it was irresponsible and disrespectful of the young couple to do that on a beach where tons of families and kids where, in a culture that isn't their own.  Maybe I'm being too uptight, but I felt the same way as the girls.
Finally the couple left, and Shai and I went swimming one last time, while the girls sat in our spot under the umbrella.  And before we left I asked if I could get a picture with them.  That idea, they loved.


Look at those beautiful smiles. Ah <3


And finally at the end of the day, we waited for our night long train south to Chompton.

Bye Cha-am.  xoxo

1 comment:

  1. heh. I love the disapproving girls story. Also, y'all are hella brave with the eating of foods that you don't recognize. It does look good though...

    ReplyDelete