and all the amazing food that comes with adventures.

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Despite my unyeilding love for Julia Roberts

Some of you may be wondering if my trip is somehow timely related to Ms. Roberts latest flick Eat, Pray, Love. Am I traveling in search of meaning, soul-searching clarity and inner peace, that of course can only come from an eastern religion and culture (please note the seeping sarcasm here)?

um-mm, no. I mean really. No.

First, let me start with, I've got major issues with the movie Eat, Pray, Love: cultural appropriation and lack of acknowledgment of privilege, resources and trust fund-age, just to name a few.

But this post isn't about Eat, Pray, Love or really even Julia Roberts (even though my love for her is deep) this is about my family and community, the people I can't live without, the people in my life that have made this dream actually happen. And also my own acknowledgment of my privilege, because that's what this is, a HUGE privilege. I still can't believe it's actually happening.




This is a picture from my 30th birthday.  If you can't read it, the card reads: 
We love you. We want to help your dreams come true. We wish you insightful, fun, adventurous, growthful, mind-blowing, delightful awe-inspiring and safe journeys over the oceans blue.
On the bottom is a list of fifteen  people that contributed to my birthday travel fund. Not all were able to be listed in the card, but I did get a final list of everyone. It's amazing.

You can't tell from the picture, but I was in tears.  I could hardly believe that so many people came together to help me do this.  Sure, I have tons of reasons to go, but doesn't everyone?

I still don't feel like I can put my gratitude in words. It's such an amazing feeling to feel so held by such an amazing group of people, from all over the place. To feel so loved.  That, more than the money, is the most amazing gift ever.  With out you, my community and family, I wouldn't be able to be doing this and I would be lost without you. Thank you so, so much.

I still have so much to say, and I'm totally not done talking about privilege.  I'm trying to get used to the idea that I'm going to be a tourist.  That word just sounds dirty in my mouth....try it....tourist.  Is it just me? Anyway, more soon, as the day gets closer, 50 days.

Also, if you didn't get the email, and/or would like to donate anything, $10, $20, $50 (or more), I have just recently created a PayPal account.  It's really really easy.  All you have to do is know my email address, which is my full name, first and last, no dots or comma's, @gmail.com, and follow the steps.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats! That sounds super exciting.

    I read the book "Eat, Pray, Love" long before the Julia Roberts thing. It's much, much better than the movie.

    I can't wait to hear about your adventure! I will live vicariously through you. :)

    XOXOXOXO,

    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  2. i found it really amusing that on my flight out of pdx to the east coast that movie played on my plane. totally not why i went on my travels, or anything like how i went on my travels.

    but i am so excited that you're out there doing this! i'm really glad you sent me the link to your blog. xxoo.

    ReplyDelete